For NHS Change Day 2014 we pledged that ‘when our staff speak, we are going to do our very best to listen and we will respond to the benefit of colleagues, our community and, most of all, to enhance care for our patients.
We know that when staff feel valued and good at work, staff morale is increased and patients receive better care.
We are committed to ensuring the best care for our patients; a key aim of our #becausewecare campaign. This campaign is our opportunity to relentlessly focus on our patients’ best interests; to keep patients safe and to create a climate of care where:
- saying “that’s wrong” is right (openness, transparency and candour)
- we relentlessly pursue excellence in care (fundamental standards and beyond)
- working together is the norm
- learning is at the centre of all we do
- compassionate, caring and committed nurses, midwives and Allied Health Professionals is the norm
- we develop our leaders and support them to be focused on the right things.
At Barts Health NHS Trust we are working hard to continue to change our culture so that dignity and respect is at the heart of all we do. We reward and recognise the great achievements of our colleagues and the extensive efforts made every day to consistently go the extra mile to deliver the best care to our patients. We annually celebrate these sterling contributions at our Barts Health Heroes Awards. The annual awards ceremony is a significant and heartfelt way in which we celebrate those who have been nominated by patients, families and colleagues who wish to say ‘Thank you’.
NHS Change Day enables us to add another string to our bow in the integration of our change activity across Barts Health and we are proud to be part of this movement. We hope to build on the momentum set by NHS Change Day whilst we continue to honour our commitments to colleagues and patients.
Finally, a big “thank you” to all of our colleagues who are making change happen.