Over the last two years UHNM have worked hard to implement a number of strategies to improve end of life care within the busy hospital setting. This has included
• A comprehensive programme of education available to all staff
• Full implementation of the Last Days of Life care plan
• Re-launching and improving the Rapid Discharge Pathway (for patients who wish to go home to die)
• Raising awareness of support available to patients & relatives through the use of the ‘Purple Bow Scheme’ which staff can use to ensure care delivered is person centred and consistent
• Improving access to Advance Care Planning information for both staff and patients
• Increasing awareness about specialist support both in and out-of-hours
Due to all of this positive work we felt as a team that we needed to highlight all of the support and information available to staff and patients.
Previously we may have put something on the Trust intranet which would have raised awareness for a short period of time.
Instead we decided to create a large A1 poster which we gave to each ward to display in their areas. T
his meant that staff have a reference point to refer to readily accessible with current contact information and a summary of the key points.
As well as a hard copy displayed on the ward the poster is also available in an interactive version online.
Each box can be selected which takes them to further supporting information or documentation.
Ward staff are very proud to display their posters and answer any questions from members of the public as required.
We are very proud that following our recent CQC inspection that we have moved from ‘requires improvement’ to ‘Good’ for end of life care, which is a real testament to the hospital staff who have really lifted the profile of end of life care in their areas.
If you would like an editable version of the poster please get in touch [email protected] @NurseJoe87